The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Blawenburg Reformed Church
Blawenburg, Montgomery Township, Somerset County

This traditional Federal-style meetinghouse is very similar to the Springfield Presbyterian Church, built about 30 years earlier, and the Reformed church in Millstone, erected four years earlier. It was built in 1832, two years after the congregation was formally organized.
     The symmetry of the front, the fanlights over the door, the neoclassical door surrounds, the oculus and quarter-segmental fans, and the cupola are typical of the style we call Federal or Georgian. The details of the door surrounds were undoubtedly taken from one of the architectural plan books of the period (perhaps Pain, which was the source for some of the details on the Springfield building), which prescribed proper dimensions and proportions. The architect/builder was Richard Brown.

It is listed on the National Register.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel