authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
First Presbyterian Church
Bloomfield, Essex County
Originally called the Third Presbyterian Church of Newark, it became
known as the Bloomfield Presbyterian Church after a local Revolutionary
War hero. The town was later named after him as well.
This building was started in 1796 but
was not completed until 1819. There were additions in 1853 and 1883,
but mainly the exterior appears much as it did in the early nineteenth
century. Samuel Ward is listed as the architect, and it is obvious he
paid close attention to St Paul's Chapel of Trinity Church in New York
City, which had been erected in 1766 and was then generally regarded
as the leading example of high Georgian architecture in the country..
The congregation was organized in 17__
and the church is listed on the National Register.