authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Califon Methodist Episcopal Church
Califon, Hunterdon County
The original Methodist church in Califon was built forty-three years
before the congregation was organized. That's not a paradox but a tribute
to the congregation in New Germantown (now Oldwick) who sold the trim
little frame building to the new Methodist congregation in 1868 when
they decided to build a larger church.
are two church buildings in this image; the one on the right is the
original church, built in 1824. When the congregation outgrew its
church, the building was sold to
the Methodists in Califon for $200. In the winter of 1868 the structure
was dismantled, loaded on carts and hauled over the mountain to its
present location along the South Branch of the Raritan in Califon.
faced the river until 1891, when it was moved back and turned 90 degrees
and the newer building (in the left of the image on the left) and
the link between the two constructed.
steeple and entry projection are later additions and the windows were
remodeled in the Gothic style and stained glass was added.