authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Changewater Methodist Episcopal Church
Lebanon Township, Hunterdon County
was the first settlement in the Musconetcong Valley
to warrant cartographic recognition, appearing on a 1748 map.
It was the site of several mills and quarries as well as an early ironworks,
which required water to power the bellows, an ample supply of wood to
make charcoal, and iron ore. Of the three, the supply of wood was probably
the most important, for when the nearby hardwood forests were denuded,
the ironmakers departed for other locations. There are no mills, furnaces
or quarries anymorejust a few dozen houses strung along the one
road paralleling the river and a couple of dwellings across the river
in Warren County.
Methodist church in Changewater was founded in 1870, and this building, erected
in 1900, was based on the plans from a book issued by Benjamin Price. (Plan
# 103/103a in the 1906 edition, although certainly offered in previous
editions of Church Plans.) Except
for the addition of the ramp, this church has
hardly changed in the century since it was built. The Gothic Revival
influence clearly remained strong, even after half a century.
The "tracery" in the main window is actually composed
of three rhombus-shaped windows over three identical triangular-shaped tall windows—a
clever, low-cost means of providing an up-to-date version of the tripartite window
that was a convention of the Gothic Revival style.