authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
First Presbyterian church
Chatham, Morris County
Although the building was sold to the Masons in 1930, this classic
church, built in 1832, is a fine example of the spare Wren-Gibbs
by the early Presbyterian churches in the central part of the state.
The congregation in Chatham was organized in 1823; previous to that
the early settlers attended services in Bottle Hill, New Providence,
Hanover and Springfield. The original church was a "building fitted
up for worship" which stood near the Passaic River. That soon
proved too small, and in 1832 the foundations of this building were
was subsequently enlarged and reportedly had a seating capacity of
four or five hundred people.
In design it is very similar to the Reformed
church in Pompton Lakes (Passaic), which was built in 1814.