Methodist Episcopal Church of Florence
Crosswicks, Burlington County
founded c.1828, built c.1850
When the Hicksite faction of Friends broke off in 1826, they were the
majority in a number of New Jersey towns, and so took over the property.
In Crosswicks, it was the Orthodox group that held the majority, so
the Hicksite members built this fine brick meeting house about a block
away. Quaker meetinghouses normally have two front entrances, one for
men and another for women; this, like a few of the mid-nineteenth century
meetinghouses, has but a single front entrance. That is also the case of the meetinghouses in Westfield and the Orthodox meetinghouse in Trenton.
The windows in the mid-nineteenth century buildings are larger than the earlier structures, with 16 over 16 panes instead of the 9 over 9 that was common.
It now houses the Chesterfield Township Historic Society.