authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Reformed Church of Clover Hill
Clover Hill, Hillsborough Township, Somerset County
The congregation was founded as a Reformed church, when the rear portion
of the building was built in 1834, but by 1838 or so, it had affiliated
with the Presbyterian church and remained so for another 22 years.
In 1862 it returned to the Dutch Reformed denomination. Sometime thereafter,
the front 15 feet were added to the building in a rather different
style. The rear features large Gothic arch windows, whereas the front
exhibits elements from several
styles (round arch windows, an ogee curve over the door, a quatrefoil
window high on the tower, and a ruch surface created by a variety of
shingle shapes) and might best be called vernacular.
The steeple was blown down in 1885, and was replaced
by this lantern/belfry, which is certainly
original, and a very distinctive part of the charm of this rural church.