authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Cokesbury Methodist Episcopal Church
Cokesbury, Tewksbury Township, Hunterdon County
The name Cokesbury comes from the two early Methodist bishops, Francis
Asbury and Thomas Coke, who held services in this area in the waning
years of the eighteenth century. The congregation was formally organized
in 1810 and this fine Greek Revival building erected in 1851. It follows
a plan almost identical to churches in Chester, Griggstown, Colts Neck,
Harlingen, South Bound Brook and Mount Holly, all erected within a year
or two of 1851.