authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Meeting at Coopertown
Willingboro Township, Burlington County
located on a branch of the Ranconcas Creek, was named for Willingborough
in England which had been the home of an early settler and the builder
of the first gristmill in the county. Another early settler was William
Cooper, father of James Fenimore Cooper, who also gave his name to
Cooperstown, New York. The Coopertown meeting was established in
1806, about a century after the area was first settled, and the first
meetinghouse built in that year, to be used by Baptists, Methodists
and Quakers. The arrangement was not entirely satisfactory, so the
parties withdrew and the Quakers erected a new meetinghouse in 1835.
That served until 1876 when the trustees purchased land and erected
the current meetinghouse on a plot adjoining their old meetinghouse.