authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Presbyterian Church of Ewing
Ewing, Mercer County
Many churches in the colonial period developed out of loosely-organized
meetings that met in homes, barns or even in a shady grove to hear the
occasional itinerant minister. Presbyterians in the Ewing area gathered
with Church of England people about 1703; by 1708 (official founding
date), the harmony among the group had ceased, acccording to the congrega-tion’s
own history and the Anglicans left to form St. Michael’s in Trenton.
The first church, built of logs, dates to 1712, when it was known as
the First Presbyterian Church of Hopewell Township. That was replaced
by a frame church in 1728, which was in turn replaced in 1795 with a
brick church, much in the style of the Old Broad Street Presbyterian
church in Bridgeton (Cumberland County). In 1867 that building was torn
down and this massive stone building, designed by J.C. Sidney of Philadelphia,
was erected at a cost of about $20,000. The tall steeple came down in
1890, and the stenciling on the walls has been painted over, but in
other respects the church remains much as it was in the nineteenth century.