authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Methodist Episcopal Church
Farmingdale, Monmouth County
was known as Upper Squankum until 1854, and was
the junction of two railroads—the Jamesburg and Freehold Agricultural
Railroad and the New Jersey Southern Railroad. By 1834 there
were 10 sawmills, five grist mills, 26 tanning vats, two distilleries, but
no churches. The Methodists purchased a parsonage for the
circuit preacher, however, and by 1849 had erected their first church.
It was remodeled in 1866, and then replaced by the present building in 1894.
The church is a standard plan, and Freehold
architect Warren Conover is credited with its design. It may
be based on plans published or approved by the parent Methodist
organization, or by Benjamim Price of Philadelphia and Atlantic
Highlands. Price, who specialized in church plans between
1867 and 1906, claimed that over 7,000 congregations used
his plans. There is a similar church in Perrysburgh, Ohio. The plan was suitable for a wooden-frame building or
one of brick or stone, and probably has an amphitheater seating arrangement. It stands in a State Historic District.