The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Finesville Methodist Episcopal Church
Finesville, Warren County

 

Finesville straddles the Musconetcong, about half in Hunterdon and half in Warren, but both churches lie in Warren. This modest stucco-over-stone building was erected in 1879 by Methodists on the site of a previous union church the Methodists shared with Lutherans, Presbyterians, and Christians. When Methodist members of the union church wanted their own building in 1878, that original church was sold to them; it was torn down and this building erected on the site. The Christians built another church a few blocks away, and the Lutherans and Presbyterians presumably found a home in nearby Riegelsville, Holland, or Lopatcong—by that date, the region was fairly well churched.
     Methodist Bishop Asbury preached in this vicinity in 1810, long before the congregation was organized, although Snell and others connect his visit to the eventual establishment of this church.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel