authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Flemington Methodist Episcopal Church
Flemington, Hunterdon County
Two preachers who came at the invitation of a Quaker conducted the
first Methodist service in Flemington in 1822 in the county courthouse.
A year later the church was organized and by 1826, a building on Main
Street had been built. It is still in existence, but so totally encapsulated
by a row of retail stores as to be unrecognizable. When the courthouse
burned in 1828, court was held in the Methodist church until a new courthouse
could be built. When that church building was no longer adequate, it
was auctioned off and services resumed in the courthouse until the present
building was completed in 1887. The architects were Hazelhurst &
Hackel of Philadelphia.