The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Petersburg Christian Church
Great Meadow, Warren County

When a leading revivalist (Mrs. Abigail Roberts) for the Christian Church was denied the pulpit of the Vienna Methodist church, a courtesy commonly extended to visiting preachers, several of her followers in the area decided it was time to build their own church. Which they did in 1858. The ground floor was used for services and the basement was used as a school. In the 1940s the building was converted into a residence.

   ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2002 Frank L. Greenagel