The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Great Meadows Presbyterian Church
Great Meadows, Independence Township, Warren County



This large (by local standards) stone building now serves as a Senior Center, but it was built in 1824 and remodeled in 1863 by the local Presbyterian congregation, which then called itself the Danville Presbyterian Church, organized in 1831. It once served an Eastern Orthodox congregation and had the characteristic onion dome where a steeple would have been.
      The style is a simple meetinghouse, but the windows and cornice are nicely executed. It once had a steeple and/or belfry, and was stuccoed.

   ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2002 Frank L. Greenagel