The authoritative source
early churches of New Jersey
click here to
the book from
created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to
it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions
from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
to related sites
Church of Sandyston
Hainesville, Sandyston Township, Sussex County
Until 1911 when the Methodists built their
new church across the street, the Sandyston Township Volunteer Fire Department
building was known as the Union Church. Originally erected in 1855 as an outpost
of the Minisink Reformed church in Montague, but with the proviso that it might
be used by any orthodox congregation (which generally meant non-Catholic in
those days), by the 1870s, the church was used by both Reformed and Methodist
congregations. The Methodist congregation had been organized about 1835, but
Snell has almost nothing to say about the origins of the Reformed congregation.
After 1911, no further services were held in the building. By the 1950s it
had fallen into disuse and was converted into a hall for the Fire Company.
The building has been so completely reworked that nothing except perhaps the
size or scale of it is of any historic merit.