The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Hamilton Square Baptist Church
Hamilton Square, Mercer County

The Baptist church in Hamilton Square is a large red brick building designed by William Hammell in 1880 and built the following year. It is probably the third church owned by the local Baptist society which was organized by 1785 when a lot was donated for the original church. Hamilton Square Baptist Church was originally known as the Baptist Church of Nottingham Square.
     Behind the church were stables for members' horses, and the church history tells of neighbors complaining about the Baptists racing buggies on Nottingham Way after services. There is a large burial ground adjacent containing the remains of Revolutionary and Civil War veterans, including one participant in the Boston Tea Party.

   ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2005 Frank L. Greenagel