The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Hamilton Square Presbyterian Church
Hamilton Square, Mercer County

The Presbyterian church in Hamilton Square is a large (40 x 60) brick Greek Revival building, erected in 1867. It is the congregation's third church and sits across the street from the burial ground where the original church was sited. It featured a 120 ft steeple, but that was destroyed in a hurricane in 1877 and was not replaced. The 1862 pulpit from the second church was transferred to this building.
     The congregation shared ministers with the Allentown and Dutch Neck churches for years, but large revivals in the 1850s brought in additional members and the church was able to afford its own minister.

   ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2005 Frank L. Greenagel