The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Hillsborough Reformed Church at Millstone
Millstone, Somerset County



One of only a few true Federal-style meetinghouses in the state, the church is the anchor of a National Historical District designation. The Reformed congregation was organized in 1766 by members of the church at Harlingen, and this building erected in 1828. The building committee examined the Reformed church at Six Mile Run and took that as its model. That building no longer exists, but meetinghouses in Blawenburg, New Providence, Springfield, and Second Presbyterian church in Elizabeth exhibit smiliar Federal style architecture, of which very little has been preserved intact.
     The belfry and steeple are a little more elaborate than on some of the meetinghouses built in that period, and door surrounds and fenestration are definitely a sophisticated element for a rustic area. Notice, particularly, the fanlights over the three entrances, the spoked oculus, and the quarter segmental fans in the gable end. The active congregation maintains the church beautifully.

See Ursula C. Brecknell, Hillsborough: An Architectural History. Neshanic, New Jersey: Township of Hillsborough Historic Preservation Committee, 1996.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel