authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Holmdel, Monmouth County
was organized only a few years after initial
settlement when the hamlet was known as Baptisttown and the
church referred to as the Upper Meeting-house, in contrast to
the church in Middletown, which was the Lower Meeting-house.
The two congregations were divided in 1836, and the name was
changed in 1847. The building was erected in 1809, the second
church on the site. It was enlarged and altered, probably about
1850 with a new Greek Revival front and a steeple, and again in
1866, when the fishscale shingling, the entrance and the large
stained-glass windows on the north side were added.
In 1936 the church merged with the Reformed congregation
the village and formed a Federated church, but that did not thrive.
In 1968 the congregation became the Holmdel Community Church.