The authoritative source
early churches of New Jersey
created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to
it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions
from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
to related sites
The Moravian Gemeinhaus
Hope, Warren County
The Gemeinhaus was the spiritual center of the Moravian community:
there is no equivalent else in the state, although there are at least
two other Moravian churches in New Jersey. Although long-since converted
into commercial purposes, this solid stone structure was erected in
1781. Religious services were held on the second floor, and many
original details in doors, fireplaces and cornices have been preserved.
By he second decade of the nineteenth century, the Moravians sold off
all their property in the town and moved backed to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.
The building now houses a bank, which is responsible
for the fine job of restoration and preservation; it long served as a hotel
National Register of Historic Places.