The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Old School Baptist Church
Hopewell, Mercer County



Founded in 1712 and built in 1823. The back wall dates to the original construction. Two entry doors mark this congregation as coming from the English, rather than the German Baptist tradition, and the style looks to Philadelphia for its antecedents. The absence of a tower or belfry was not unusual for this conservative strain of Baptists, who eschewed most forms of ornamentation.
     This congregation was a mission church of the Baptist church in Middletown, apparently the first in the state. It served a wide area in the Hunterdon-Mercer region until well into the 18th century, and most of the [old school] Baptist churches in Hunterdon are direct descendants of this congregation.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel