The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Presbyterian Church of Knowlton
Knowlton Township, Warren County



Knowlton was settled by German immigrants sometime around the Revolution (c.1775); there is a record that a Presbyterian minister from New York organized a congregation in 1776. The first congregation, comprised of a handful of Presbyterians, Anglicans and German Reformed (Calvinist) families, built a union church in 1802 or 1803. That was replaced by this almost square frame building in 1844. Except for the Gothic windows, it might be mistaken for a school house.
     About 1870, part of the congregation living closer to the Delaware River formed a daughter church at Delaware Station and built a larger, more elaborate Gothic Revival building.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel