authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Lamington Presbyterian Church
Lamington, Somerset County
Presbyterians settled in the western section of Somerset County almost
as early as the Dutch Reformed; this congregation was organized in 1740,
when they built their first church within the present cemetery. This
church was built in 1826 on the south side of the road, and moved in
1885 to higher ground. The used "numerous bars of yellow soap,
oak timbers and a horse and windlass." They'd "soap the timbers,
start the horse and the building would move a few inches."
It has undergone several major renovations,
the most recent of which grafted the Gothic belfry onto a Greek Revival
building in 1854.