authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Little Egg Harbor Friends Meetinghouse
Tuckerton, Ocean County
This building was recently noted by the Historic American Buildings
Survey (HABS) as part of the Shorelands region, but aside from a couple of
photographs, their report contains liitle hard data on the buildings history.
Tuckerton was founded by Quakers in the
early 18th century, probably moving east
area. This wooden frame building was erected in 1863, and undoubtedly replaced
an earlier building on the site (a serene respite from the commercialism
of Route 9 which goes through the heart of town). There is a single
front door, but the internal vestibule provides for the traditional two entrances
found in almost all Quaker meetinghouses. The building reflects the later trend
use of more mainstream church architecture.
The congregation is still active and the building