authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Locktown Christian church
Locktown, Delaware Township, Hunterdon County
In January 1827 Mrs. Abigal Roberts visited Hunterdon and conducted
a series of revival meetings, which produced great excitement
among the people who came out to hear her preach. She returned
in June 1829, with the result that sometime between 1829 and 1832, a
group of members of the Milford Christian church which was 8-14 miles
from their homes, determined to build a local church, which they did.
The present building was erected in 1864 on the site of the original
one. The placement of the steeple and the angle at which it is set is
very unusual, as are the windowed doors.
The congregation is now affiliated with
the Presbyterian church.