authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Reformed Church of Long Branch
Long Branch, Monmouth County
all of what we see today is the result of the 1902 remodeling
(virtually a total rebuilding—the old frame church was turned
and stripped to its frame). The original 1849 church was an
in antis Greek Revival plan that had been renovated prior to its reconstruction.
The building is now square, with a tower rising at the east corner.
The roof is cross-gabled and the building shingled. Three circular
windows above the round-arch windows disguise the fact the
large windows on three sides of the building are actually based on
a Palladian form. The open belfry is surmounted by paired brackets
supporting the pyramidal roof, and there is a chanticleer
weathervane rather than a cross atop the tower, which apparently was
a Reformed (or Dutch) tradition. The main entry is through the
tower, although there is a substantial but subordinate entrance on
the west side of the façade. All of those elements are characteristic of
architectural styles fifty years later, not of the antebellum period
when the church was first built.