authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Lower Bank, Washington Township, Burlington County
This small frame building on Old Church Road is apparently the oldest
religious structure in the immediate area. The land was deeded to the
Methodist Episcopal church in 1835 (or 1842) by a Negro Quaker. It
is a simple frame building that has not been much altered since it
was erected about 1842. The congregation was organized in 1780. According
to Marilyn Schmidt in her book, Churches & Graveyards of the New
jersey Pine Barrens, the graveyard was used by the early
1700s, but the oldest gravemarkers date to 1815 and 1817.
is also a Lower Bank Methodist church located a short distance away
on River Road, erected in 1879, which is used regulalry; services
are held in this building only occasionally.