authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Church of Howell
Manasquan, Monmouth County
The congregation was organized in a Kettle Creek (Ocean County)
farmhouse in 1804 but moved to Squan Village in 1842. The
congregation worshipped in the Ocean Hill Church in Manasquan,
and in 1842 in the Free Meetinghouse on the Hill in or near Squan
village until this building was erected in 1869. That Free Meetinghouse
was shared with other denominations on a rotating basis.
The church was initially a large meetinghouse-style building
with a single entrance and the sanctuary on the second floor. In
1898 the façade was completely redone, and the north and south
towers were added. The style is late Gothic—a single large Gothicarch
tripartite window dominates the front of the shingled church
and there are large round windows in the gable and on the south
tower. A clock was added to the north tower in 1899.
The name was changed to the First Baptist Church of