The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Trinity Methodist Church
Millville, Cumberland County

  

Trinity Methodist was founded in 1837 and this substantial late Victorian church, much in the high Methodist idiom of the era, was erected in 1881. The white wooden tracery in the windows, the belfry and the lighter colored stone capping the buttresses is dramatically set off from the red brick building. The architect was probably Benjamin D. Price of Philadelphia; the building is very similar to his plan #6 and #6b in the 1906 edition of his book, Church Plans. The tower is like those on plans #51 and #183.
     By the waning decades of the nineteenth century architects were borrowing elements from many styles, exaggerating the size of windows and entrances, adding gables and turrets, emphasizing quoins and buttresses with different colored stone or brick, and giving additional prominence to the surface of the building and not just to its form and mass.
     The building occupies a prominent location, only three blocks from the First Methodist church, which was erected in 1868.


 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME

Copyright (c) 2003 Frank L. Greenagel