authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Mount Bethel Methodist Episcopal Church
Mount Bethel, Warren County
This exceptionally fine stone church was built in 1841 by a local
landowner and tanner, James Egbert. He owned the church for many years,
was known as Egbert's Church, but it was ultimately given to the Methodists.
There was an earlier Baptist church in the area that had been purchased
by Egbert for use of the Methodists, but apparently no trace of it
although there is a note in Bishop Asbury's journal that he preached
in it in 1811. The United Methodist Church closed this church
in the early-to-mid
1990s; before it was closed, the same pastor
traditionally served both the McCrea Memorial Methodist
church in nearby Port Murray and this congregation.
The church now houses the BethEL Church
of God in Christ and significant restoration of the interior is underway.
It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.