The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

First Reformed Church
New Brunswick, Middlesex County

   

The earliest recorded religious services in the area were conducted by Dutch Reformed ministers in 1703, and a church was built by 1717—perhaps earlier. This large stone church, capable of seating 1,100 people was built in 1812 on a site leased for a term of 2,000 years at a fee of "one peppercorn per year, if demanded." The building faces what was the wharf and market area of town, so in 1828, town fathers appropriated the money to have a clock placed in the steeple. The style is similar to the Reformed churches in Bergen county, although on a larger scale. Compare it also to the Presbyterian churches in Elizabeth and Newark.

National Register.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel