The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church
New Gretna, Burlington County

  

From old photographs (c. 1910-20) one would say this church was built in the 1870s or 80s, which, in fact, was when the front of the building was put up. But the church was erected in 1852 and enlarged in 1887. There were two serious fires in the church's history: the first, when it was struck by lightning in 1881 and again in 1954, when the Pastor, who was also the Fire Chief, called out the fire department and the building was saved. The interior walls are covered with molded tin, but the metal ceiling are covered with dropped acoustical tiles.
     There is a record that the early meetings of Methodists in the Bass River area were held in private homes before 1799, and that there was also a small chapel when regular meetings were held by 1799.

 

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2002 Frank L. Greenagel