authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Fifth Baptist Church
Newark, Essex County
In 1858 the largely German population of the Ironbound area erected
this vaguely Greek Revival building as the Fifth Baptist church at Lafayette
and Prospect Street. In 1928 that congregation folded and the building
was obtained by the Spanish and Portuguese residents who named it St.
Joseph's Roman Catholic church. The Portuguese portion left when Our
Lady of Fatima was erected in the 1950s.
The building reputedly has catacombs in
the basement, crypts with wax likenesses of Spanish saints.