authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Norton Methodist Episcopal church
Union Township/Bethlehem Township, Hunterdon County
founded 1806; built 1881; remodeled 1908
Bishop Asbury preached in the area and by 1806 Nporton was part of
a regular Methodist circuit. The congregation built their first church
in 1828 and rebuilt it in 1855. The building still stands, although
it has undergone major alterations in 1881 and 1908. The pulpit lies
in Bethlehem Township and the congregation sits in Union Township.