authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
First Presbyterian Church
White Township, Warren County
Oxford was the site of an early ironworks, so one would expect to find
an old church or two in the town. This lovely brick building, erected
in 1856, lies about halfway between Oxford and Belvidere (the county
seat). The congregation dates to 1729, and some of the stones in the
cemetery are almost that old. When the congregation outgrew this church,
they built their new one, in 1890, in town. This still houses an active
congregation, however—the Presbyterian Church of Oxford at Hazen.
Across the street is an 1849 Greek Revival
schoolhouse—the Hazen School, which was originally called The
Parochial School of the First Presbyterian Church of Oxford.
It was the only school in the area until 1931, when the White Township
School opened. Hundreds of children
Hazen received their elementary education in this classic one-room schoolhouse.