Penton, Alloway Township, Salem County
Quaker Neck Road
founded c.1853, built 1880
The village was once called Guineatown, later Pentonville, and it was on this site in 1830 that an old log schoolhouse once stood. About 1853 the first church in the community was erected, but Jaquett gives no denomination—it may have been a union church. That building was sold in 1868 to the Methodist congregation of Quinton. In 1878 permission was given to an elder in the Presbyterian church of Salem to hold religious services in the schoolhouse in Penton. Sunday school was held there until this building was erected in 1880. The building was erected as a union chapel, available to all denominations. A date stone high in the gable reads "Union Protestant Chapel." The building was essentially erected by the members of the community.