authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Saint James Lutheran Church
Phillipsburg, Warren County
Founded about 1760, the church has long been known as the "Straw
Church," presumably because of the roofing materials used on the
original log building. This red brick structure was put up in 1834,
and is one of the few brick churches built before the Civil War in the
west central part of the state. The cupola was added in 1960.