authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Saint Mary's Church
Plainfield, Union County
Founded in 1851, this large Gothic church was erected in 1875.
Services were initially held in a private home, and then in a barn.
The small dormers along the roof line and the white stone belting and
window arches on the red brick walls were a common in the last few
of the nineteenth century, but especially in Catholic churches.
The architect was Jeremiah O'Rourke, a leading Catholic architect based
in Newark, who designed at least a dozen other churches in the state.
The alternating bands of colored stone in the window surrounds can
be found on several of his other churches as well, notably St. Mary's
in South Amboy and St. Michael's in Newark.