authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to
it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions
from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Reformed Church of Pompton Plains
Pompton Plains, Morris County
graceful Wren-Gibbs style church was erected in 1771. The round arch
windows, quoins, and multi-stage tower-belfry-lantern-spire are characteristic
of New Jersey churches derived probably from Christopher Wren's St
James Picadilly by way of Boston's Old North church.
The congregation was organized in 1737, probably
by people moving west from Bergen and Passaic counties, and the church is certainly
quite similar to several of the Reformed churches in Bergen built about the same
The church was renovated in 1814 and 1871. It suffered
a devastating fire in 1938, in which only the brick walls were left standing.
The congregation determined to rebuild in the eighteenth century style, and engaged
architect Hobart Upjohn, grandson of Robert Upjohn for the work.