The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Port Colden Methodist Episcopal Church
Port Colden, Washington Township, Warren County



This wooden frame building was erected by the Methodists in 1893. The L-shaped plan was widely adopted by Methodist and Baptist congregations. The triangular top to the windows suggests Gothic, but is easier to construct and less expensive. Similar windows are found on the Methodist church in Changewater, a couple of miles away in Hunterdon County.
     Port Colden was a major port on the Morris Canal, and was named for an executive of that company.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel