Providence Presbyterian Church of Bustletown
near Florence, Burlington County
Bustletown & Old York Roads
founded 1863, built 1878
This delightful building was built in 1878, just outside of Roebling. It is a fine example of the "Stick" style that was popular late in the nineteenth century. Many of the railroad stations built in smaller towns that era adopted that style so it may seem somewhat familiar. The architect, William Hewitt of the Philadelphia firm of Fraser, Furness & Hewitt, starts with a stone foundation, then moves to a brick portion, then a clapboard portion, and tops the side walls with a board-and-batten section to give a verticality to the building. Very clever. It's a signature element and provides a delightful texture to the exterior.
Woodward's contributor (undoubtedly one of the local divines) characterized it as of the Gothic style of architecture, which illustrates the general level of ignorance regarding architectural styles of that period. If it wasn't Gothic, it was often described as "neat and substantial."
The congregation was organized in 1863.