All Saints Episcopal Church
Scotch Plains, Union County
founded 1874, built 1882
Eight years after the Civil War, All Saints Episcopal Church was founded; in 1872, the Episcopal Church Extension Society discussed the need for holding and maintaining regular Episcopal services in Scotch Plains. In 1874, the first priest-in-charge of All Saints' Episcopal was appointed, and a Sunday school established; services were held in the Scotch Plains Baptist church.
Construction of this building began in 1882. The style is a vernacular Gothic, but the massive tower is more Norman than Gothic. A number of late nineteenth century Episcopal churches adopted that element, perhaps because of the high mortality for taller spires from winds and lightning. The porte-cochére was built for the convenience of parishioners arriving in carriages, which suggests a great deal about the nature of the congregation.