The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Six Mile Run Reformed Church
Franklin Township, Somerset County

 

The Reformed congregation at Six Mile Run (a stream six miles from the center of New Brunswick) was organized in 1710 by a mission sent out from the Three Mile Run church. This large shingled frame building was erected in 1879. The first impression is of its almost overwhelming size. The second is how beautifully-proportioned the building is. The tower, belfry and steeple show an Italianate influence, and there are many intimations of the Gothic, but the basic design is Wren-Gibbs, with its symmetry and the rectangular tower projecting from the front of the church.
     The first church built by the congregation was a six-sided log building, which served until 1766, when a square building with a gabled roof, similar to several of the early Reformed churches in the area, was erected. That lasted until 1817, when a wood frame building was put up; it burned in 1879 and the present building was erected.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2002 Frank L. Greenagel