The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Dutch Reformed Church of Branchville
South Branch, Somerset County

 

Dutch Reformed congregations in Somerset County were much taken by this Greek Revival design, as there were at least six built between 1846 and 1851—at Griggstown, Raritan, South Bound Brook, Harlingen, and East Millstone, in addition to this one in what was then called Branchville. There is another in Colt's Neck (Monmouth county) and several that have not survived. The congregation was organized in 18__ and this building erected in 1851. Although the siding is now aluminum, the columns and much of the belfry are original wood.
     The congregation is now known as the South Branch Reformed Church.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2002 Frank L. Greenagel