authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Stockton Methodist Episcopal Church
Stockton, Hunterdon County
Stockton was the site of an early ferry and by the first decades of
the 19th century was the center of trade and shipments for the surrounding
area. The earliest record of Methodist activity in the village dates
to 1868, which is rather late in the area. In that year a lot was purchased
one street east of this building, on which the society built a chapel,
which served until the present building was built in 1876, on Main street.
Its a wooden frame building with a seating capacity of 300 and
now serves as home to a Masonic temple