authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
First Presbyterian Church of Stockton
Stockton, Hunterdon County
Snell (The History of Hunterdon and Somerset Counties) writes
that in 1867 there were at least 30 Presbyterian families in the Stockton
area, so they petitioned the governing board to sever their connection
with Presbyterian churches in Rosemont, Lambertville, Alexandria and
Amwell to form a new congregation. They resolved to build a sandstone
building, 40 x 60 feet, in the Gothic style. They contracted with a
James Bird of Lambertville and used stone from the local quarries, which
was also used to build the Baptist church in Lambertville.
Ther buildings roots lie in St James the
Less, across the river in Philadelphia. Similar designs can be seen
in Catholic churches in Bound Brook and Boonton.