authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Reformed Dutch Church
Three Bridges, Readington Township, Hunterdon County
The mapmakers of Washingtons army labeled this town Sebrings
Ford, after the innkeeper here. The name was changed to Three Bridges
about the time of the Civil War. When this church was founded in 1874
and built, there were two railroad stations, a school, a hay-press,
a tavern, blacksmith and wheelwright shops and a postoffice. Of those
buildings, only the church remains in this quiet little village along
the Old York Road. This is the last Reformed church founded in the county
and for years shared a minister with the Reformed church in Neshanic
(Somerset County) or the Reformed church in Clover Hill.