The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
List of churches, by county
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

Chat

   Photographic Inventory

Mercer Street [Orthodox] Friends meeting house
Trenton, Mercer County

In 1826 there was a doctrinal dispute within the Quaker congregations, which lead to a split of many into Orthodox and Hicksite branches. One or the other had to leave (it took a court to decide the issue in one famous case), and in this case, it was the Orthodox group that was in the minority. From 1827 to 1856 they met in what had been the Greene Street Methodist church at Academy and Broad until they built this fine meeting house on Mercer Street in 1856. It now serves as a day care center.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel