The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

St. Francis Roman Catholic Church
Trenton, Mercer County

The original congregation to build on this site was Dutch Reformed, in 1840. They apparently ran into financial difficulties for the church was soon sold to a Methodist congregation. By 1846 it had been sold again to the St. Francis Roman Catholic parish, who erected this imposing church in 1846.
     Although Catholics had regularly held mass in Trenton for years, they became entitled to own propery only with the passage of the state's revised constitution in 1840. This church was erected about as close to the statehouse as one can get.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2005 Frank L. Greenagel